Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a podium to ensure recognition of the informal learning or learning through work to achieve equal approval as the formal levels of education. It targets to value prior learning regardless of the medium of reaching it.
RPL is a process of evaluation of an individual’s prior learning to give right importance of learning as a result rather than learning as a process.
Objectives of RPL
- RPL will assist in alignment of the competencies of the unidentified workers of the country with the standard NSQF structure and give the much required recognition, improving the career/employability possibilities available to them.
- The recognizable certification process of RPL will enhance the visibility of the less challenging/popular job roles amidst the youth of the country, as it will deliver a sense of pride and social recognition.
- To determine the skill of a personal and value the same under RPL in PMKVY.
- To acknowledge the skill levels of 10 Lakh people under PMKVY in multiple sectors.
- To find out the different institutional models that could turn into standard models to be approved for different traditional sectors and highly divided sectors like handlooms, handicrafts and agriculture .
- This will assist in supporting the Indian growth story and harvest the advantages of the demographic dividend.
Benefits of RPL
The following are the benefits of RPL scheme :-
- Fees are not charged from a candidate participating in the RPL program.
- RPL acknowledges the value of learning obtained outside a formal setting and offers a government certificate for an individual’s skills.
- Each candidate who is certified successfully receives INR 500.
- Applicant acquires exposure to ideas of digital and financial literacy.
- Applicant acquires an accidental insurance coverage for three years at free of cost.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q-1. How is RPL assessed?
Ans.:- RPL evaluation includes firstly examines carefully each of the evidentiary parts of a qualification, comprising both the core units and elective unit. This is a procedure of breaking down each element to know the extent and scope of what must be demonstrated by an applicant’s skills and knowledge.
Q-2. How do you apply for recognition of prior learning?
Ans:- The following steps must be taken before applying for RPL :
- Make a decision on what to study. Visit www.unisa.ac.za/qualifications or the brochure page to select a qualification.
- Ensure that you fulfil the admission requirements of the selected qualification.
- Apply for admission.
Q-3. What is the purpose of RPL assessment?
Ans.:- RPL enables people to demonstrate that they are capable of undertaking particular tasks or working in certain industries based on evidence of skills and knowledge acquired throughout their life. RPL is identical to criterion-referenced assessment –evaluation of skills and knowledge against certain criteria.
Q-4. Why is recognition of prior learning important?
Ans.:- RPL is essential as:-
- RPL promotes access for ‘non-traditional’ students – people who may not have had the chance to do further study.
- RPL acknowledges importance of learning outside a formal setting, e.g. values and acknowledges learning in the workplace.
- RPL improves students’ conception and understanding of learning as a lifelong process.
Note :- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) – A podium to assure recognition of the informal learning or learning through work to achieve equal consent as the formal levels of education. It aims to value prior learning regardless of the medium of reaching it.