Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF) Scheme is initiated by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India with a target to offer essential academic facilities and framework in the areas of concentration of educationally backward minorities, which do not have a sufficient allocation for elementary, vocational training institutes & secondary and Sr. Sec. schools / Jr. colleges / professional.
The purpose of the fellowship is to deliver integrated five year fellowship in the form of economic support to students from minority communities, as informed by the Central Government to continue higher studies such as M. Phil and Ph.D. The fellowship will cover all universities/institutions acknowledged by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under section 2(f) and section 3 of the UGC Act and will be executed by the Ministry of Minority Affairs through UGC for students belonged from minority communities. The fellowship under fellowships granted to research students pursuing regular and full time M. Phil and Ph.D courses. The fellowship possessors under this scheme will be known as Ministry of Minority Affairs scholars.
The Foundation was created in the event of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad’s Birth century celebrations. His memorable life was filled with excellent achievements in the various fields. He was a towering figure on the Indian political scene and a scholar rated high in the domains of Urdu Literature. To this, he added a pioneering innings as a journalist. But his biggest claim to renown was his contribution as a thinker with a world vision and humanist prospect. A determined freedom fighter and an un-failng supporter of secular and democratic values. Maulana Azad deserves to be introduced again to the modern generation of Indians. The Foundation is a non-political, voluntary, non-profit making social service organization, established to facilitate education amidst educationally backward sections of the Society. It is financed by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt. of India. The Hon’ble Minster of Minority Affairs is Ex-Officio President of the Foundation. It was recorded under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 on 6th July 1989.
Benefits of MAEF Scheme:-
The following are some benefits provided by MAEF Scheme:-
- Economic support for construction/expansion of schools belonging to educationally backward minorities.
- Economic support for the purchase of science/computer lab equipments/furniture for institution belonging to educationally backward minorities.
- Economic support for the purchase of equipments / construction / expansion of vocational training center / ITI / Polytechnic belonging to educationally backward minorities.
- Economic support for construction of Hostel building in the institutions belonging to educationally backward minorities.
- Economic support for construction / expansion of D.Ed / B.Ed College belonging to educationally backward minorities.
Eligibility Criteria for Grant:-
- Financial Society/Trust must be enrolled under the Societies Registration Act /Indian Trust Act for the last three years.
- Society/Trust must be registered with MAEF.
- Society/Trust & the institution for whose expansion/strengthen support has been desired must be a minority declared an NGO/Institution.
- The NGO should be having correctly composed Managing Committee with its powers clearly defined in its bylaws.
- Society/Trust should be having appropriate audit reports with Receipt-Payment, Balance Sheet & Income-Expenditure statements reflecting educational activities conducted for the last three years.
- Society/Trust must be in a position to receive the participation of knowledgeable persons for the advancement of their programs on a voluntary basis.
- Society/Trust must not be rushed for the profit of any personal or a body of individuals/family and it must not be monitored by any personal or a body of individuals/family. The members belonging to one family must not be more than 30% in the Managing Committee. The NGO must attach an affidavit on Rs. 20/- stamp paper that the members of one family are less than 30%.
- The organization for whose construction/expansion, the support is needed must be in existence and recognized/affiliated to the concerned State/Central Board/ Council/University.
- Society/Trust must not be operating for the advancement of the interest of any political party.
- Society/Trust must not in any way provoke communal disharmony.
- The most of the grantee students (i.e. more than 50%), in the Institution for whose construction, expansion/ strengthen support is desired, must be belonging to educationally backward minorities/target group.
- For searching support for construction of hostel building, it is vital that the Institution for which the hostel is required must be acknowledged at least up to 12th standard & located in City/Distt, Qasba, Headquarter (Urban/Semi-urban area).
- Society/Trust should be having at least 500 Sq. yard land (in urban areas) or at least half acre land (in rural areas) in its name or on lease for not less than 30 years for the suggested project.
- Society/Trust must be ready to invest at least 10% of the total cost of the project as NGO’s share in the project.
- The Society/Trust must not take a loan on the building constructed with MAEF assistance/on the land on which the building has been constructed with the support of the Foundation. However, if it is needed, then prior permission of the Foundation for the same will be mandatory.
- The organization acknowledged by Madarsa Boards or running as a study/examination centers of NCPUL, NIOS, MANNU, etc. are not allowed to receive grants from MAEF.
Frequently Asked Questions :-
Q-1. Who qualifies for Maulana Azad Scholarship?
Ans.:- The Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Scholarship initiated specially for Girl students since 2003-04. It helps meritorious girl students belonged from minority communities such as Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Parsis, and Jains.
Q-2. What is the last date of proposal submission of Maulana Azad Education Foundation Scheme?
Ans.:- The last of proposal submission of MAEF Scheme is 30th September, 2019.
Q-3. What are the procedures for Sanctioning Financial Assistance under MAEF Scheme?
Ans.:- The procedures are as follows :-
- After receipt of the proposal, it must be examined in the office of the Foundation, and the flaws should be reported to the Organization/Institutions by registered post.
- The complete proposals must be mentioned for scrutiny, which will be conducted through State Government officials, members of the Foundation or by any other person to whom the Foundation may trust this job.
- The review reports must be positioned before the Subcommittee/ Governing Body of the Foundation for consideration and the decision will be reported to the Organization/Institution.
Q-4. What is Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship?
Ans.:- It is a minority scholarship for girls. Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship, previously known as Maulana Azad Scholarship, is a national-level scholarship initiated for the advantage of girl students belonging to minority communities. It offers economic support to minority girl students to help them complete their schooling without facing any financial hindrance.
Note:- Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF) Scheme – A special scheme implemented by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India with an aim to deliver basic academic facilities and framework in the areas of concentration of educationally backward minorities, which do not have adequate provision for elementary, vocational training institutes & secondary and Sr. Sec. schools / Jr. colleges / professional.